Welcome to the TGAfans.com, discussion for Gaslight Anthem music fans! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the Forums!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

This Charming Man

This Charming Man

Postby hsmall » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:18 am

What do you guys think of the This Charming Man material? For those who don't know: this was the Gaslight Anthem before they were called the Gaslight Anthem.

hsmall

Re: This Charming Man

Postby PJK » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:55 am

Definitely very Gaslight-like, even then. Why was the name changed, and did they ever release these songs on an album?
PJK

Site Admin

Postby hsmall » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:59 am

PJK wrote:Definitely very Gaslight-like, even then. Why was the name changed, and did they ever release these songs on an album?

I would think the name changed because This Charming Man is also a very famous song by The Smiths. But not sure if thats the reason. And the EP for this song is on itunes. Its called Every Little Secret
hsmall

Postby johnkelly730 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:34 pm

I've listened to a few of their songs in the past but never really got into them as much as the Gaslight Anthem. Still not bad though.
According to wikipedia, all released songs were recorded by the original members which only include Brian from TGA. Also, "1930" was called "She Coulda Raised the Titanic". I wonder if the lyrics were a little different originally?
johnkelly730

Postby johnkelly730 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:59 pm

I guess this answers my last thought

johnkelly730

Postby hsmall » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:28 pm

johnkelly730 wrote:I guess this answers my last thought

very similar to the newer version. Its great to hear how much his voice has developed through out the years.
hsmall

Postby PJK » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:51 pm

Is that Brian even singing that song? Doesn't sound anything like him. If it was, what age was he then?

I feel like that version they were trying too hard to be "punk like". It sounded very unnatural. 1930 from TGA sounds much much better.
PJK

Site Admin

Postby hsmall » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:00 pm

PJK wrote:

Is that Brian even singing that song? Doesn't sound anything like him. If it was, what age was he then?

I feel like that version they were trying too hard to be "punk like". It sounded very unnatural. 1930 from TGA sounds much much better.

I agree. The newer version of 1930 sounds more dynamic and natural.
hsmall

Return to General TGA Discussion