Welcome to the TGAfans.com, discussion for Gaslight Anthem music fans! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the Forums!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

The Horrible Crowes

The Horrible Crowes

Postby johnkelly730 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:49 pm

What do you guys think about Brian Fallon's side project, The Horrible Crowes? I bought their album "Elsie" and it's really good in my opinion. I especially like this one:

johnkelly730

Re: The Horrible Crowes

Postby PJK » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:20 pm

That sounds pretty good. I'll have to listen to the album, is it worth buying?

I am a bit confused with the whole Horrible Crowes thing. Is Brian the only one from TGA who is in it with a group of other people? If so, why would he be in 2 bands at the same time? It doesn't seem to make much sense to split your focus into 2 bands.

I heard the Horrible Crowes are working on a new album. Does this mean Brian is active in it as well, or was it a past project?
PJK

Site Admin

Postby johnkelly730 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:07 pm

It's Brian and his guitar tech, a guy named Ian Perkins. Apparently, "Elsie" was named the #2 album of 2011 by one critic:
Out of nowhere, this Gaslight Anthem (don't call it a) side project resonated with me so strongly. There's not a bad song on this.

And they are still active as far as I know. As long as TGA doesn't suffer, I'm all for this.
johnkelly730

Postby jonester » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:23 pm

I'm with you johnkelly, as long as gaslight doesn't suffer from these side projects, I'm for it. Personally I like the album, but definitely listen to regular gaslight 10 times more. I need to be in the mood for elsie.
jonester

Postby PJK » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:37 am

I agree as well, but I don't understand how someone can be the lead singer of 2 bands, and make both successful. Have the Horrible Crowes ever toured? It doesn't make much sense to divide the focus when it takes so much commitment just to make 1 band successful.
PJK

Site Admin

Postby johnkelly730 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:41 pm

PJK wrote:I agree as well, but I don't understand how someone can be the lead singer of 2 bands, and make both successful. Have the Horrible Crowes ever toured? It doesn't make much sense to divide the focus when it takes so much commitment just to make 1 band successful.

Not sure if they have done a tour or not but I saw them do a concert on Palladia (HDTV Network) last week. Maybe they will tour with and open for Gaslight haha. A lot of singing for Fallon.
johnkelly730

Postby hsmall » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:33 pm

PJK wrote:I agree as well, but I don't understand how someone can be the lead singer of 2 bands, and make both successful. Have the Horrible Crowes ever toured? It doesn't make much sense to divide the focus when it takes so much commitment just to make 1 band successful.

I feel like that may have been the revival tour, but I am not sure.
hsmall

Postby PJK » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:49 pm

johnkelly730 wrote:

Not sure if they have done a tour or not but I saw them do a concert on Palladia (HDTV Network) last week. Maybe they will tour with and open for Gaslight haha. A lot of singing for Fallon.

Haha, that would be wild. I still have no idea why someone who sing in 2 bands instead of focusing on one - especially as a lead singer. Has any musician ever made 2 bands successful while singing in both simultaneously?
PJK

Site Admin

Postby jonester » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:16 pm

I think Brian probably had an itch to do this and the rest of the band really wasn't into it. No proof but that's what i guess. Geniuses like Brian have to explore to expand their horizons and become better musicians and songwriters. Better he did it like this than with Gaslight IMHO.
jonester

Postby johnkelly730 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:31 pm

PJK wrote:
johnkelly730 wrote:

Haha, that would be wild. I still have no idea why someone who sing in 2 bands instead of focusing on one - especially as a lead singer. Has any musician ever made 2 bands successful while singing in both simultaneously?

Tom Petty did the Traveling Wilburys and released "Full Moon Fever" around the same time. Dylan released an album around the same time as well. It can be done.
johnkelly730

Next

Return to General Music Discussion